Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Show 101 + Genre Director

Y'ello everyone. This semester my class load is pretty darn light (2 classes and 1 lab, to be exact) and so is my work load (1 job and working on the SEVT conference) which means that I've taken on more responsibility at the station (big surprise, it's not like I was on the executive staff for 3 years). This responsibility is coming to me in the form of being a genre director. At the station we have 2 Music Directors but also have Genre Directors. Each Genre Director is, you guessed it, in charge of a genre: rap, indie-rock, electronica, metal, etc. I'm going to be the mainstream Genre Director. "Mainstream" covers music that is underground but popular. Just on the border of alternative and mainstream. This goes pretty well with my show and it's name, maltstream. So, be looking forward to reading my CD reviews, which I'll post here. I'm currently working on of Montreal, James, and 1 more that I can't remember right now.

And now, here's what I played today:

Robert Francis; Before Nightfall; “Junebug”
Jenny Owen Youngs ; “Hot In Herre (Nelly Cover)”
Animal Collective; Merriweather Post Pavilion; “Summertime Clothes”
Sparkydog; One Bird A Day; “Animal Park”
*Venice is Sinking; Sand & Lines; One Percent Press; track 6 “Falls City”
*Les Savy Fay; Root for Ruin; French Kiss; track 6 “Poltergeist”
*Magic Kids; Memphis; True Panther Sounds; track 1 “Phone”
*The Dollyrots; A Little Messed Up; Blackheart; track 3 “California Beach Boy”
Ghosts of the Great Highway; A Spell & a Fire; “A Spell & a Fire”
Vivian Girls; John, I'm Only Dancing; “John, I'm Only Dancing”
Holy Ghost!; Static On the Wire - EP; “I Will Come Back”
Beach House ; Teen Dream; “Take Care”
*Adam Klein; Wounded Electric Youth; Cowboy Angel Music; track 11 “12th & Porter”
*Wolf Parade; Expo 86; Sub Pop; “Cloud Shadow on the Mountain”
*Gitar; Stuffed; Seeland Records; track 27 “Dead U R”
Old Canes; Feral Harmonic; “Little Bird Courage”
The Format; Dog Problems; “Oceans”
YACHT; See Mystery Lights; “Summer Song”
*Tender Trap; Dansette Dansette; Slumberland; track 6 “Danger Overboard”
*Here We Go Magic; Pigeons; Secretly Canadian; “Surprise”
*Cloud Cult; Light Chasers; Earthology Records; “Running with the Wolves”
Dr. Dog; Shadow People – Single; “Shadow People”
Chiddy Bang ; “Opposite of Adults”
Valley Maker; Valley Maker; “Babel”
The Radio Dept.; Heaven's on fire; “Heaven's on fire”
*Cowboy Junkies; Renmin Park; Latent Recordings; track 5 “A Few Bags of Grain”
*Azure Ray; Drawing Down the Moon; Saddle Creek; “Shouldn’t Have Loved”
*Miniature Tigers; Fortress; Modern Art; “Rock n’ Roll Mountain Troll”
*Born Ruffians; Say It; Warp; “Blood, the Sun & Water”

No comments: